The Ursern Valley Museum in Andermatt provides an insight into the culture and history of the Ursern Valley. It is worth a visit not only for the exhibition, but for the building itself as well. It is one of the most beautiful patrician houses in the valley and stands right in the heart of the village.
Talmuseum Ursern is situated in one of the most beautiful patrician houses in the Ursern Valley. The house was built in 1786 as a home and commercial premises by the subsequent valley mayor Franz Dominik Nager and is reputed to have been used as headquarters by the Russian General Suvorov on 24/25 September 1799. This is why locals know it by the name of “Suvorov House”.
Talmuseum Ursern was opened following a thorough renovation of the building in 1991. The museum shows various permanent exhibitions. These include domestic culture circa 1780/1800, valley history and cultural history, tourism, military, Alpine economy, Alpine fauna, muleteer trading, a natural history cabinet, and the career of the Andermatt native ski legend Bernhard Russi. Temporary exhibitions are additionally held in the basement.
A tour through the valley museum is possible upon request.