Today’s Göschenen parish church was consecrated on 16 September 1900 by Johannes Fidelis Battaglia the bishop of Chur.
Almost 25 years before the consecration, in 1876, the local council and the church council decided to build a new village church. Engineer Ernest von Stockalper was also on the church committee. He had taken on the technical management for the entire Gotthard Tunnel following the death of Louis Favre. Prior to that, Stockalper had been responsible for the northern section during the tunnel’s construction.
The location of the new village church was highly controversial. The present-day site, at the intersection point of the valley, was finally defined by the local assembly in 1897. St Gallen architect August Hardegger delivered the plans for the construction of the Romanesque three-nave church, which commenced shortly afterwards.